- 2 lamb shanks (approx 2 lbs)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 small pinch of saffron (optional)
- 1 16 oz can tomatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F
2. Season the lamb shanks generously with salt.
3. Sear the shanks in the tagine over medium high heat, a few minutes on each side until browned all over. Remove from the tagine and set aside.
4. Over medium heat, add olive oil to the tagine, then add the onions, stirring and scraping up the browned bits from the lamb at the bottom of the tagine. Cook for a few minutes until soft.
5. Then add the garlic, ginger, and spices and a large pinch of salt and combine well and cook for a few minutes until fragrant and caramelized. Then add the cinnamon stick, saffron and canned tomatoes and let cook for a few minutes. Then add the lamb shanks back to the tagine. Cover the tagine with it’s lid and roast in the oven for 3-4 hours, or until the lamb is falling off the bone.
6. Finish with lots of fresh herbs, a squeeze of lemon, and a dollop of yogurt.