- 1/2 cup short grain rice
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 1/3 cup almonds (sliced)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons shelled pistachios (chopped)
- mint leaves
- candied cherries
- Rinse rice in a colander with cold water and leave to drain. In a small bowl, soak the saffron in 3 tbsp hot water. In a separate small bowl, pour the rose water over the almonds and leave to soak.
- Bring rice, 1 qt water, and sugar to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for about 25 mins. Stir the saffron water and threads into the rice.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water until smooth, then stir into the cooked rice and simmer until thickened. If the pudding is a little too thick, add water to loosen.
- Stir in the almonds and rose water. Pour into serving bowls.
- Sprinkle with pistachios and decorate with cherries and mint.