For the meatballs
- 350 g minced lamb
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
For the sauce
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 400 g canned tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp honey
- In a small bowl mix the lamb with spices, egg and breadcrumbs. Mix well. Wet your hands with some water and form the meatballs.
- Heat a splash of oil a pan over medium to medium high heat and add the meatballs. Fry on all sides until they are browned.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to the pan and fry for about 3-5 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes, dried ginger, cinnamon and chili flakes.
- let the sauce simmer on low for 10-15 minutes or until it has thickened.
- Add the honey to the reduced sauce and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Finally add the meatballs back to the sauce and let everything cook together for another 5-10 minutes, depending on the thickness of your meatballs.